Sometimes walking by faith and trusting God is hard. When our dreams, desires and expectations collide with our reality, it’s easy to become discouraged and give into apathy. When life seems like a tidal wave washing over us, it’s hard to endure and persevere. Many times we find comfort in the routine and change is not always welcomed.
But we find encouragement in 1 Corinthians 13 when it speaks of a love that believes, hopes and endures ALL things.
Love…believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. —1 Corinthians 13:7-8
Look at the definitions for these words from this verse in the original language of Scripture:
- Believes – to have faith, put trust in, to think to be true, to place confidence in.
- Hopes – to expect with desire, to hope, to trust in.
- Endures – to remain under, i.e. to persevere, to bear up under.
Love believes, hopes and perseveres even in difficulty. This is possible because our confidence, our true identity and our hope are found in Christ Jesus alone. Love never fails because our God is unfailing love. These “hard things” of life are the reasons we are called to walk stirring up one another to love and good deeds.
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another. —Hebrews 10:24-25
LOVE believes, hope and endures all things, so WALK stirring up one another to love and good deeds.
We are able to stir one another up to love and good works and to encourage one another because our God IS faithful and in control of all things. Our God IS eternal and His love and faithfulness endure forever.
In the original language, the word stir up means to provoke in a good sense, a sharpening, an encouragement to some action or feeling. When we stir up one another we encourage others to take action. We are sharpening one another. When we stir up one another to “love and good deeds”, it pushes us out of comfort zones and out of our rut living. It encourages us to keep believing, keep hoping and keep enduring!
How do we “stir up” one another?
- Encourage them to use a gift or talent you see in them to help others and further God’s kingdom.
- Take someone out for coffee and just listen to their heart or heartache.
- Invite them to participate in a ministry/mission project you are part of or to attend Bible study or small group with you.
- Pray for them —in your personal time as well as with them.
- Share an aspect of God’s character with them to encourage them in whatever they are facing.
- Share a verse of Scripture to encourage them.
- Plan a community project with others to impact your city/community and share the love of Christ.
Remember, our God is faithful and gives us hope. Jesus is our hope! He is the anchor for our souls, firm and secure (Hebrews 6:19). Be encouraged today by placing your trust and hope in the One who will never fail us!
He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. —1 Corinthians 1:8-11
Be strong and take heart all you who hope in the Lord. —Psalm 31:24
For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations. —Psalm 100:5
Is there someone you need to “stir up” and encourage today?
©2013 Walk in Love, Susan Cady, susancady.com